SPOILER ALERT!

The More I See You

The More I See You - Lynn Kurland Check out my reviews at http://thewindowseat13.blogspot.com/

In The More I See You, the de Piaget family continues to spread beyond the children of Rhys and Gwen. Here, we meet Richard de Galtres. Richard was a young boy when he fled the merciless abuse of his father to the magical keep of Artane and became another foster son of Robin and Anne de Piaget. The abuse that he survived has hardened Richard's heart and all that he wants is to rebuild his keep, live in peace, and, maybe, one day marry a child heiress that he can raise to be a quiet and biddable wife so he can have an heir. The last thing he needs or wants is to have Jessica Blakely storm into his life and create a whirlwind of chaos.

Jessica finds herself in a medieval castle in England wishing on a star for a truly gallant knight. The next thing she knows, she is hurtled back in time to find herself in the arms of a truly grumpy knight. She is convinced that fate has truly goofed things up. But before long, Jessica starts to see through the armor that Richard keeps around his heart and she starts to touch the tender soul that is hiding within. The artist who can paint pictures that touch her heart, the man who has found the courage to be gallant despite the torments that he lives with, and the love of her life. Together, Richard and Jessica start to create a life together that can be a "claim to fame" for them both.

But fate isn't quite done with either of them. When Richard's foster brother, Kendrick of Artane, is brutally murdered by the woman he was supposed to marry, Richard and Jessica must travel to Artane so that Richard can help investigate. But Artane is a seat of medieval power and their visit there attracts the notice of the king. With Richard's lands and wealth at stake, Jessica must decide if she can take away from Richard all he holds dear while only offering herself in return.

This is another one of Kurland's books that show her true talent. Richard is beyond the sterotypical abused child. That Richard is less than a serial killer based on what he endured in his childhood is hard to imagine. But Kurland makes Richard not only believable, but lovable and endearing, as well. Jessica can, from time to time, be a bit annoying in her attempts to shove twentieth century ideals and values onto Richard, but these moments are few and far between. The love and passion between Richard and Jessica are clear and believable and the gentle love that unfolds between them is beautiful to read.

As part of the series, this is a turning point. As must be expected in a series, a beloved character meets his end. Since the beginning of the series, Kendrick is a lovable character. In this story, the arrogant and charming Kendrick works well as a foil to Richard's grumpiness, he brings humor into the story. His character also allows the reader to see that Richard can love. He clearly loves his foster brother and best friend and so it keeps there from being too much of a stretch when we see him falling for Jessica.

While this book can be harder than some of the others to get into at the beginning, the end result is worth it. The de Piaget crew continues to grow and to change and to keep the reader coming back for more. Since this book was actually published much earlier than it comes in the chronological timeline, and some books that are chronologically earlier are published after it, there are some characters that are "missing" and some that are there that shouldn't be. But due to the fact that the books were not published in chronological order, that is inevitable. This is the one book where that problem comes up if you are reading along with the order that I have given. But the problem comes up toward the end of the book and it is a minor one. Hopefully, a reader can look beyond that and appreciate The More I See You for the treasure that it is! :)